Question: Can you put acorn squash in the microwave?
Short Answer: Yes you can!
Longer Answer: Yes, you can microwave acorn squash and still get the same delicious results like it came out of the oven. The following steps will tell you how to microwave acorn squash and other neat tricks you can use to enhance the beautiful taste of acorn squash.
1. First of all! ALWAYS WASH YOUR SQUASH. I know some people which don’t always wash the peel or skin of a fruit or vegetable when they don’t eat that part. Think about this. When you cut the squash in half, the knife goes through all the (dirty) skin and into the flesh part that you’re going to eat. So now it’s dirty, like the skin.
2. Next, you should cut the squash in half and discard all of his seeds (as if you were cleaning cantaloupe only it will be a little harder). Then rinse well in cool water.
3. Okay now place the squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish or you can put a piece of microwave-safe plastic wrap placed directly on microwave bottom or plate.
4. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cook times vary depending on the size and variety of your acorn squash.
5. Finally, cut the squash side up and fill centers with brown sugar (or coconut sugar) and butter if you want the sweet taste. Olive oil plus salt plus pepper if you want the savory taste. Cover and microwave on high temperature for 2-3 minutes.
Now you’ve mastered this basic skill of how to microwave acorn squash, here are a few ways to spice it up — acorn squash is such a versatile ingredient, so make it as you wish!
• Sweet: Add little of cinnamon
• Sweet: Add cinnamon plus nutmeg
• Savory: Add chili powder
• Savory: Add smoked paprika