Question: Can you microwave butternut squash? Can you put butternut in a microwave?
Short Answer: Yes, you can microwave butternut.
Longer Answer: Butternut squash skin is tough to peel. The skin is very thick and peeling with can be very challenging. People who have tried peeling butternut squash will agree that it is very easy to cut your fingers when peeling the thick hard skin. It is easier to peel the skin of a butternut squash after microwaving it for few minutes. Microwaving the butternut squash makes skinning effortless and makes cubing of the squash easier.
When you microwave butternut squash, the water inside the skin is stirred up and steamed which loosen the skin from the flesh. You can also microwave a whole butternut squash easily if you follow the steps below:
- First, clean the outer covering of the butternut squash with cold water and dry it.
- Poke holes through the skin several times with a fork. This will allow steam to escape while cooking.
- Cut few centimeters from both ends of the butternut squash.
- Place the squash in a microwave-safe plate and put it in a microwave.
- Microwave the squash for about 5 minutes. The squash will soften and will be easier to cut.
- Cut the squash with a sharp knife from top to bottom.
- Remove the seeds.
- Now place the butternut squash halves back on the microwave-safe plate and microwave it for another 5 to 10 minutes on high.
- To test if your butternut squash is ready, poke it with a fork. The flesh of the squash should be soft.
- Once the squash cools down, you can serve it as a mashed, make soup or hummus or in any way you want.
- You can also cube butternut squash and microwave