Question: Can you microwave baby formula? Can you put baby formula in the microwave?
Short Answer: No. Do not microwave baby formula ever.
Long Answer: First of all, let’s discuss the fact that there are how-to videos on YouTube showing folks microwaving baby formula. This is a big no.
The World Health Organization (WHO) says do not ever use a microwave oven to hear baby formula. Microwaves heat unevenly and could cause hot spots that would scale the child’s mouth.
Secondly, WHO wants everyone to know that baby formula needs to be used within one hour. Always discard unfinished feeds.
Finally, they indicate that that powdered infant formula is not sterile. It may contain bacteria that can cause serious illness for babies. Correct preparation and handling of baby formula reduces the risks of illnesses and harmful bacteria such as Enterobacter Sakazakii. Infections caused by bacteria such as these are few, they have been known to be serious and, rarely, fatal.
Guidelines to Make Safe Baby Formula
- Wash hands with hot, soapy water and dry with a clean cloth or disposable towel.
- Wash cups/bottles using hot, soapy water and use a wire brush to get inside of the bottles.
- Sterilize the cups/bottles.
- Store the cups/bottles in a clean area.
Preparing Baby Formula
- Clean and disinfect a surface area where you will prepare the baby formula.
- Wash hands thoroughly with hot, soapy water and dry with a clean cloth or disposable towel.
- Boil an adequate amount of water per the instructions given.
- Pour the correct amount of boiling water into a clean, sterile bottle making sure the water them is 70°c.
- Add the exact amount of baby formula to the water.
- Mix the baby formula thoroughly by gently shaking or swirling the bottle.
- Cool the temp of the baby formula by holding the bottle under cold- running tap water.
- Dry the bottle with a clean cloth.
Keep your baby safe and the baby formula healthy by not using a microwave to heat it up.